Re: Typesetting in Mathematica (TraditionalForm typesetting?)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125723] Re: Typesetting in Mathematica (TraditionalForm typesetting?)
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 04:33:13 -0500 (EST)

On 3/29/2012 1:05 AM, Brentt wrote:
> I just discovered the Journal article stylesheet, which has perfect
> key-board mappings for note taking. Thanks for everyone for the input

I have encountered a few students who tried to maintain their notes
in a form that included typeset mathematics.  It has never struck me
that time spent typesetting is compensated by increased comprehension,
and anecdotal evidence from observing such students supports this.

In other words, unless your intention is to somehow redistribute or
publish your notes, it is likely a poor use of your time.

If the vast bulk of the notes is simple text and an occasional small
formula, and you are a really fast and accurate typist, I'd give this
only a "maybe".

Who takes notes, any more?  You can always view the lecture again on
youtube. :)