Re: Schaums outline Mathematica 2nd ed, prob. 11.3 help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125734] Re: Schaums outline Mathematica 2nd ed, prob. 11.3 help
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 04:37:04 -0500 (EST)

On 3/29/12 at 2:59 AM, pennsylvaniajake at gmail.com wrote:

>I cannot get this code to show the solutions to the equation, only
>the vector plot.  Whats wrong?  It came from Schum's Outline,
>Mathematica 2n ed, solved problem 11.3 on page 272-3.  The only
>changes I made was using v1 for vf and s1 for solutions.

>v1 = VectorPlot[{1, x^2 + y}, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 12}, Axes ->
>Automatic, VectorScale -> Tiny];

>s1 = Table[
>DSolve[{y'[x] == X^2 + y[x], y[0] == k}, y[x], x], {k, 0, 4}];

Omit the semicolon at the end of the line above and you will see
a list of solutions. A semicolon is used in Mathematica to form
a compound expression and only the result of the last part of a
compound expression is displayed. If there is no explicit
expression following a semicolon, Mathematica still sees this as
a compound expression with the last part being Null.
Consequently, nothing is displayed.

Alternatively, simply enter s1 in a new cell and execute
normally to cause the contents of s1 to be displayed.