Re: Importing large file into table and calculating takes a long time. How to improve efficiency?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126338] Re: Importing large file into table and calculating takes a long time. How to improve efficiency?
  • From: j p <ipschka at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 04:32:52 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Bob for your suggestions. I certainly like the Map and Norm functions and I knew there had to be a better way to convert from hex to decimal.
You were right about your assumption about not defining dataX, dataY, and dataZ, I had left those out by mistake from the code I included in my original question.

But when I use the line

Map[FromDigits[#, 16] &, dataHex, {2}]

I get the error message:

FromDigits::nlst: The expression 0.` is not a list of digits or a string of valid digits.

The input data may look something like this:

{{0., 24, "009d"}, {0., 28, 9}, {0., 28, 99}, {"00dc", 27, 98}, {0., 29, 95},

where there is a decimal point when the value is zero. So I added the following to the import function to replace all occurrences of "0.":