Re: speeding up intergration of sum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126479] Re: speeding up intergration of sum
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 03:03:01 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/12/12 at 4:51 AM, bar at ANTYSPAM.ap.krakow.pl wrote:

>Hello, I have a problem with Integrate[f[z]] where f[z] is a sum of
>many parts,

>All those parts are very simple ( like a/(b+z) )

>Sometimes Integrate[f[z],z] doesn't reach convergence

>althouhg Integrate of the all of parts exists,

>The question is : Is it possible to force the  Mathematica to
>calculate this sum

>step by step (part by part) ??

Yes, if f[z] is just a sum of terms then you could do either

Total@Integrate[List@@f[z],z]

or

Total[Integrate[#,z]&/@List@@f[z]]

Either will cause Mathematica to integrate each term
individually then sum the results of each integration. I don't
know whether this will be faster or not for your situation.