Re: clearing a variable with a dummy subscript

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126587] Re: clearing a variable with a dummy subscript
  • From: Christoph Lhotka <christoph.lhotka at fundp.ac.be>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 05:58:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

a workaround could be to delete just the entries of DownValues
which contain the symbol u.

To demonstrate I add to your example

Subscript[u, k_] := k; Subscript[u, 2]
2

another one of similar form:

Subscript[v, k_] := k; Subscript[v, 2]
2

Here are the values stored in the down values list of subscript:

DownValues[Subscript]

{HoldPattern[Subscript[v, k_]] :> k,  HoldPattern[Subscript[u, k_]] :> k}

To delete definitions made just to u use something like

DownValues[Subscript] = Select[DownValues[Subscript], FreeQ[#, u,
\[Infinity]] &]
{HoldPattern[Subscript[v, k_]] :> k}

Now the definition for u_k is deleted

Subscript[u, 2]
Subscript[u, 2]

while the definition for v_k is still present

Subscript[v, 2]
2

To this end you could define something like:

myClear[x_Symbol] := Block[{},
DownValues[Subscript] = Select[DownValues[Subscript], FreeQ[#, x,
\[Infinity]] &]];

which works as expected:

myClear[v];Subscript[v,2]
Subscript[v,2]