MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Converting an imported STL into a solid Region for integration?

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126632] Re: Converting an imported STL into a solid Region for integration?
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 04:41:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com

On Sat, 26 May 2012, dr DanW wrote:

> I am trying to compute the center of gravity and mass moments of Pro/E solid models I have imported as STL's.  Once in Mathematica, the models are polygons that define the surfaces of the objects.  Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get Mathematica to treat these as boundaries that define a solid Region so I can numerically perform the integration?  I've done such integrals before, but I had mathematical expressions for the surfaces; now I only have data to define the surfaces.
>
> I realize I could do this in Pro/E, but I am not myself a user of Pro/E, just a consumer.  Besides, eventually I want to calculations within SystemModeler based on data extracted from the solid models.
>
> Thank you for the help,
> Daniel
>
>

Daniel,

have a look at the TetGenLink tutorial. There a similar example is 
discussed.

TetGenLink/tutorial/UsingTetGenLink#423424220

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/TetGenLink/tutorial/UsingTetGenLink.html#509267359

Hth,

Oliver

• Prev by Date: Re: Restricting Data from Wolfram|Alpha Input into Mathematica
  • Next by Date: Re: Restricting Data from Wolfram|Alpha Input into Mathematica
  • Previous by thread: Converting an imported STL into a solid Region for integration?
  • Next by thread: Question about SelectionMove