Re: Sqrt of complex number

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126647] Re: Sqrt of complex number
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 05:12:23 -0400 (EDT)

As the documentation says:

    Sqrt[z] means z^(1/2)

    z^p gives the _principal value_ -- of Exp[p Log[z]].

As with any rational power 1/m, then, you'll need another way to find
other roots. One way:

    z /. Solve[z^2 == 3 - 4 I, z]
{-2 + I, 2 - I}

(In some such situations, you'll want to wrap the z/.Solve[...]
expression with ComplexExpand in order to get the Cartesian forms of the
roots.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305