Re: Sqrt of complex number

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126677] Re: Sqrt of complex number
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 04:12:28 -0400 (EDT)

"You have been given a bunch of answers, each of which is correct but
unresponsive to your concern.

"Mathematica gives the answer it gives because it was programmed that
way, a way that lacks generality, is incomplete and arguably incorrect."

Nonsense!

There is nothing incomplete or incorrect (arguably or otherwise) about
Mathematica's behavior with Sqrt. A design decision was made that
mathematically multi-valued numerical functions should return single
values; the documentation states that the principal root is returned;
and that's what happens.

You might _prefer_ that Mathematica return all possible values of a
multi-valued function, but that would raise a host of difficulties --
e.g., what if there are infinitely many values -- that would ripple
through the system and cause difficulties for most computations by most
users.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305