Re: Sqrt of complex number

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126686] Re: Sqrt of complex number
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 02:47:13 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/30/2012 1:15 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> "You have been given a bunch of answers, each of which is correct but
> unresponsive to your concern.
>
> "Mathematica gives the answer it gives because it was programmed that
> way, a way that lacks generality, is incomplete and arguably incorrect."
>
> Nonsense!

I assume you agree that Mathematica gives the answer because it was
programmed that way;  you may even agree that it lacks generality.

Let's look at the incomplete and incorrect, and see where we (dis)agree.

> There is nothing incomplete or incorrect (arguably or otherwise) about
> Mathematica's behavior with Sqrt.

As long as you are talking about Sqrt[]  and not "square root", you (or
Wolfram) is arguably entitled to associate nearly any behavior at all.  E.g.
Sqrt[-2]  could return 0 or an error.   I believe some version of the
UNIX library square-root program did this, to avoid complex numbers.

If you look up "square root"  in wikipedia  you get an extensive
discussion of square roots of numbers, and their principal values.

Unfortunately, the discussion there does not generalize to square roots of
symbolic items  like sqrt(a*x+b)  or sqrt(x^2).

There is a way of thinking about these, and computing with them, for example
using Root[]  expressions.

  A design decision was made that
> mathematically multi-valued numerical functions should return single
> values;
true.

  the documentation states that the principal root is returned;
> and that's what happens.
What is the definition of the principal root of sqrt((x-y)^2)?  how does
it differ from the principal root of sqrt((y-x)^2)?

> You might _prefer_ that Mathematica return all possible values of a
> multi-valued function,

maybe, but maybe not.  Maybe there should be another system that does
multi-valued functions correctly.

  but that would raise a host of difficulties --
sure, it is part of the design. That's why certain integrals come out
wrong because the chosen "principal value" happens to be the wrong value.
Fixing these errors without doing the mathematics correctly is perhaps
far more difficult than doing the mathematics right and avoiding the
errors entirely.  This was understood by some of the builders of the
earlier systems, but Wolfram based his design on the old systems -- with
their problems -- rather than coming up with a solution.

> e.g., what if there are infinitely many values -- that would ripple
> through the system and cause difficulties for most computations by most
> users.

Mathematicians have many ways of representing and computing with
infinite sets.