Solve...or not

  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Subject: [mg128537] Solve...or not
  • From: "Harker, Anthony" <a.harker at ucl.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 03:20:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica

I've seen some discussion of Version 8's Solve[] in this group, but have I missed something explaining this?

  I have the following behaviour (both under Windows 7)

Mathematica 8.0.1.0

Solve[{(y-2)/(x-1)==1,y==0},x]
{}

Mathematica 7.0.1.0
Solve[{(y-2)/(x-1)==1,y==0},x]
{{x->-1}}

  Tony

Tony Harker
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University College London
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT

Tel: (within UK)    020 7679 3404
     (overseas ) +44 20 7679 3404
E:    a.harker at ucl.ac.uk

[...] clay possesses one considerable advantage: it is resistant to fire, water, and magnetic disturbances. In [...] a few thousand years, our photographs, books and hard disks will no doubt have disappeared, but our collections of cuneiform tablets will still be there.

  Dominique Charpin, Reading and Writing in Babylon (2010) translated by Jane Marie Todd.