Re: Subscript on plus expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128701] Re: Subscript on plus expression
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:15:01 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 18, 2012, at 3:57 AM, Dave Snead <dsnead6 at charter.net> wrote:

> Mathematica fails to parenthesize the a+b in
> Subscript[Plus[a,b],k]
>
> so the output looks identical to
> Plus[a,Subscript[b,k]]
>
> Is this a bug?
> Is there an option to force the parentheses?

I don't know off hand of any such option, but is it so unreasonable to
insert parentheses explicitly in the first? After all, that's surely
what you'd do if writing it with pencil on paper!

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305