Integral that should converge, but Mathematica says it does not

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128827] Integral that should converge, but Mathematica says it does not
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 06:04:06 -0500 (EST)

May be someone who knows math better than me can look at this.

Integrate[x/(1 + (x^6*Sin[x]^2)), {x, 0, Infinity}]

Mathematica says

Integrate::idiv: Integral of x/(1+x^6 Sin[x]^2) does not converge on {0,\[Infinity]}. >>

But according to this post in the Math group

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/245461/convergence-of-an-improper-integral-with-trig-function/245515#comment541244_245515

someone showed that it does converge.

Just thought to ask someone here for a second look. If you think also
this should converge, and the proof shown in the above link is
correct (it seems to be, but again, I am not a math major), I will
send a bug report to WRI

Version 9 on windows 7

thanks
--Nasser