Re: CDF Security

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128517] Re: CDF Security
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 23:48:11 -0400 (EDT)

On 26/10/2012 04:38, Gregory Lypny wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> Thanks for the heads up.  Even when opened in a text editor the code is sufficiently obscure that it wouldn't pose too much of a risk with my first-year students.  But of course that is meaningless if just one savvy student does what you describe.  I am going to tie the answer array to a variable with the absolute time (somewhat obscure) so that the array contains null in all its elements before the deadline and proper answers afterwards.  Still far from foolproof, but perhaps enough to buy time to think of something better.  Ultimately, I don't that CDF will work for critical coursework and large classes.  I will probably just set up a workflow to generate PDFs instead.  Disappointing but a good learning experience.
>
> Thanks again for responding,
>
> Gregory

My solution would be to write your notebook with answers, but tag the
cells that contain answers. With that structure, a simple program could
copy the notebook excluding or including the relevant cells based on the
tagging information. That way, the current CDF files simply won't
contain the answers however devious your students are!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk