Re: Landau letter, Re: Mathematica as a New Approach...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128021] Re: Landau letter, Re: Mathematica as a New Approach...
  • From: Ralph Dratman <ralph.dratman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 05:10:47 -0400 (EDT)

I agree with John Doty. Without experimental verification, there would be
no distinction between our description of the world and some endless
discussion about dancing angels.

But we do possess the ability to make measurements -- to compare
received theory and recorded facts with our ideas. Performed continually
all around us, the tests and re-tests lead to an amazingly consistent
picture of our world as a real place with real physical laws.

Even more surprisingly, the functioning of human technology demonstrates
our great mastery of the situations and substances of that world. Can you
doubt the little GPS in your car, and what we put in the skies to make it
work? Do we now have a large robot functioning on Mars? Did we build a fire
beside which the sun is a cold mist, and find within it a rare and tiny gem
named Higgs?

And here we encounter a genuine paradox: the confirmation -- ubiquitous,
vivid, inarguable -- of the General Theory of Unreasonable Effectiveness.

Ralph Dratman

 John Doty wrote,