Re: Landau letter, Re: Mathematica as a New Approach...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128052] Re: Landau letter, Re: Mathematica as a New Approach...
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 02:57:44 -0400 (EDT)
On 11 Sep 2012, at 08:34, John Doty <noqsiaerospace at gmail.com> wrote:

>> So what
>> exactly is the evolutionary path from a near "laboratory animal" to
>> Riemann or Perelman?
>
> I think it's similar to the evolutionary path from laboratory animal
to elite athelete. Sports like ice skating are not really like anything
humans evolved to do, but involve physical and cognitive "modules"
evolved for other purposes, combined in novel ways. Scientific
understanding of this has made it possible to teach atheletes to perform
feats once thought impossible, like "quadruple jumps". I see no reason
this shouldn't also apply to mathematics.

Oh, so presumably you have now explained the "mystery of Ramanujan"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan)?

Andrzej=