Using SetDirectory to Set to a Remote Computer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128075] Using SetDirectory to Set to a Remote Computer
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 03:41:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to set the directory to a remote computer?  I would like to use Mathematica to get a listing of files on a Mac that I have at a second office.  I have tried to do this using a number of directory paths, but I always get an error saying that Mathematica cannot set the directory.  I used

SetDirectory[thePath];

Here are two of many paths I've tried, all unsuccessfully.

thePath  = "username:password at myServer.address.ca//Users/username/Documents/folderName/";

and

thePath  = "username:password at myServer.address.ca//Documents/folderName/";

The first works with an FTP client such as Interarchy, but of course, SetDirectory may not be doing FTP.

Any thoughts?

Gregory