Re: A new FrontEnd

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128140] Re: A new FrontEnd
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 03:42:59 -0400 (EDT)

It's already _very_ easy to hide all "code", that is, Input cells:

  (1) Click any one Input cell while holding down the Alt key (Option on Mac).

  (2) From the Cell menu select Cell Properties then unclick Open.

You can even readily create a little palette to toggle between cells being open and closed.

In fact, a quick on-line search will even reveal an old palette, CellProperties.nb, by Rolf Mertig, that with the click of a button allows you to open or close selected cells (as well to make them Initialization cells, make them Evaluatable or not, etc.

It seems to me that before somebody opines at too great a length at how the Front End might be improved, he ought to do a little more exploration to see how much of the augmented functionality is already there implicitly or explicitly.

On Sep 17, 2012, at 12:20 AM, paul at desinc.com wrote:

> I think WR doesn't need to change FrontEnd as much as augment it and start developing other interfaces to work in parallel as an integrated environment.
>
> If I were going to update FrontEnd, ... I would also add ability to "hide code" with a button press.  Code offers nothing to non-Mathematica readers.  My process is calculate, validate, document around previous work, share.  The first two rock.  Documenting around and sharing is more effort than it could be.

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts                  413 545-2859 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                      fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305