Re: 3D ViewPoint Selector (V5.2) in higher Mathematica versions ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130370] Re: 3D ViewPoint Selector (V5.2) in higher Mathematica versions ?
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 22:35:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
in Mathematica V 5.2 there was a useful graphics tool being envoked by Menu
Input > *3D ViewPoint Selector*. With this interactive palette/notebook one
could easily determine the Cartesian or Spherical coordinates (i.e. {theta, phi,
r} resp. {x,y,} ) of a wireframe cube and then paste these values for the
optimized view of the rotated cube into another Mathematica graphics.

Unfortunately this tool became obsolete from version 6.0. on (which is mainly
due to the fact that 3D graphics can be manipulated interactively in higher
Mathematica versions.) Nevertheless, in order to determine the optimum view point
coordinates I sometimes miss this tool. And I just searched in the installation
tree structure of Mathematica V5.2 (and higher versions too) for a notebook
resp. palette with the name 3DViewPointSelector (or similar) but could not find
this tool even in V5.2. Of course, one could write a litte application with
Manipulate for rotating a wireframe cube and read out the viewpoint coordinates.
But if this tool already exists why do additional efforts...

Does anyone know where to look for this nice graphics tool which (if available)
would certainly be applicable in other Mathematica versions too. Help would be
appreciated.

Thanks  R. Kragler

Hi, Robert,

I do not know the answer to your precise question. However, few years ago somebody (whose name I cannot recall now) published on this site a nice handy code helping in such situations. Stressing that it is not mine (but belongs to the public domain, since it has been disclosed) I give it below along with a short explanation.

(* This is the code *)
extractViews[ll_] :=
    Flatten[Union[Extract[ll, Position[ll, #]] & /@
       {ViewPoint -> _, ViewCenter -> _, ViewVertical -> _,
         ViewAngle -> _, ViewVector -> _, ViewRange -> _}]];
(* End of the code *)

How to operate:
    1. Enter extractViews[]  in a cell below the graphic.
    2. Move the graphic to your liking.
    3. Set the cursor between the brackets of ExtrahiereViews.
    4. Make a "Copy output from above" (CtrlShiftL) and evaluate.
    You'll get the values.

Have fun, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.