Re: Can one optimize AutomaticNumbering feature?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130382] Re: Can one optimize AutomaticNumbering feature?
  • From: danl at wolfram.com
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 05:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:29:18 PM UTC-5, Alexei Boulbitch wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> If one wants to use the automatic numbering feature of Mathematica, he has to make tags for cells of the type he wants to be referenced to. Then, as soon as he needs to make a reference to the tagged cell, he goes to Menu/Insert/Automatic Numbering. This brings up the dialog "Create Automatic Numbering Object". There one finds three fields: one is entitled "Counter", the two others enable one to select the tag of the cell to be numbered.
>
> In the field "Counter" one finds a number of cell types, and one MUST select the type he needs. In some StyleSheets, such as JournalArticle, the number of cell types is really impressive. In this case the stage of choosing the cell type from the Counter field of the "Create Automatic Numbering Object" dialog considerably brakes the writing process and becomes a head ache.
>
> I heavily use the JournalArticle StyleSheet along with the automatic numeration. However, I only make numeration and refer to two types of Cells: (i) DisplayFormulaNumbered and (ii) Figure.
>
> Here comes my question:
>
> Is it possible to customize the "Create Automatic Numbering Object" dialog such, that only two types of cells: (i) DisplayFormulaNumbered and (ii) Figure would show up there?
>
> (my data PC WindowsXP, Mathematica 9.0.1.0)
>
> Thank you, Alexei
>
> Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.

I run into this same issue frequently. It is a nuisance, particularly at the step of selecting the type. Years ago I mentioned to someone that it would be nice if that selection at least had a memory, so later selections would bring one to that prior selection by default. Scanning for style "Reference" is, in many style sheets, no fun at all. Likewise for the styles that Alexei Boulbitch mentions.

I realize this is a "me too" type of response. Just posting in case anyone from Wolfram Research is listening. (Wait a minute...)

Daniel Lichtblau
(Wolfram Research)