Timing puzzle - could Sow and Reap help?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130466] Timing puzzle - could Sow and Reap help?
  • From: carlos%colorado.edu at gtempaccount.com
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 02:02:51 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to all who reply to my post.  I understand now why there is no Array head.  Array seems to be just a
symbol building function. Lists are stored as arrays, a la SLIP (a now dead language created by Joseph Weizembaum at MIT, which I used briefly in the early 1970s).  Separating Lists and Arrays would make a significant improvement in efficiency in getting the best performance from each data structure. But that would take a significant kernel rewrite.

Going back to the test timer, I have never used Sow and Reap, as suggested. Could somebody illustrate how to built the test plot list with those? Then I can time it against the first 4 methods (as noted, any scheme using Table or Map is useless in practice since n is not known in advance). Thanks.