Re: Converting a magnified image of a line to a single pixel smoothed

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130532] Re: Converting a magnified image of a line to a single pixel smoothed
  • From: "Dave Waddell" <dwwaddell at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 01:16:46 -0400 (EDT)

Matthias:
Thanks. That looks great. I'll look into the functions that you have used as
you suggest.

Dave,

On 4/17/13 1:30 AM, Dave Waddell wrote:
> I have a magnified image of a 0.1mm line here:
> http://www.d-a-v-e.org/images/Trace.jpg
> ... this converts with Binarize very well:
> http://www.d-a-v-e.org/images/Trace%20binary.jpg
> ... but what I would like to do is convert it to a single pixel wide
smoothed line running right up the middle. Any suggestions or pointers on
how to do this in Mathematica would be appreciated.
> Dave

The sequence below seems like a good start.
The documentation for the functions should help you understand what is going
on in more details:

trace = Import["http://www.d-a-v-e.org/images/Trace.jpg";]

b = ColorNegate@Binarize[trace];
b2 = SelectComponents[b, "Area", -1];