Re: memory issue

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130592] Re: memory issue
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 02:50:43 -0400 (EDT)

There should be no reason why, by default, "all the equations" are being
evaluated when you open the notebook. Unless either you've made them all
Initialization cells or else you're talking about Dynamic objects
(which, as I understand things, are not actually updated unless they're
visible in the window).

In any case, it seems like a very bad idea to construct a book that long
from a single notebook. Better is to divide it into one notebook per
chapter, say, and then to have a master notebook with a table of
contents having links to the individual notebooks. Likewise, internal
hyperlinks from one chapter to another should be structured so as to
point to the various notebooks involved.

On Apr 24, 2013, at 7:03 AM, J and B <noslowski at comcast.net> wrote:

> When I load in my book that I am writing, I run out of memory and my CPU is
> maxed out.  The book so far is over 300 pages and has many equations.
> Mathematica freezes on me.  Is there any way that I can stop Mathematica
> from evaluating all of the equations in the book when I open the book to
> work on it?

---
Murray Eisenberg                                    murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305