Re: anyone know of software to recover .nb files from

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131478] Re: anyone know of software to recover .nb files from
  • From: parr.will at googlemail.com
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 02:51:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:01:15 PM UTC+10, pw wrote:
> Preserve the information on the disk by using a Linux live CD,
>
> or equivalent, and use the 'dd' command to copy the raw disk
>
> image to a file on another, larger disk.
>

> Say your hard disk is /dev/sdb  and you want to copy the raw contents
>
> into a binary file. Also say your big backup disk is mounted
>
> at /media/mysparedisk
>

> dd if=/dev/sdb of=/media/mysparedisk/drive_image.bin
>

> If you use an Ubuntu live CD, you can set up you hard disks
>
> in this way.
>

> You don't want to actually mount your original drive
>
> with the data on it. You can, however find out which
>
> device it is by noting the drives size and the comparing
>
> to the partition list in /proc/partitions
>

> Boot with the live CD and you hard disk connected and
>
> run the following command to list partitions:
>

> cat /proc/partitions
>

> You *can* mount your destination drive where you want to make
>
> the drive image file. Make a directory where you will mount the
>
> destination disk, and then use the mount command to connect to the
>
> partition where you want to store you files.
>

> sudo  su
>

> cd /
>
> mkdir /DRIVE
>

> mount /dev/sdc1 /DRIVE
>

> Then go your 'dd' command:
>

> dd if=/dev/sdb of=/DRIVE/disk_image.bin
>

> This will make a file that you can then analyze
>
> for you .nb files.
>

> Once done (takes a LOOOooooonnnnggggg!!!! time) make
>
> sure you un-mount your destination disk , or follow the
>
> correct shutdown procedure for the OS.
>

> cd /
>
> umount /DRIVE
>

> shutdown -h now
>

> If you're not familiar with Linux the manuals for all of these
>
> commands are online or can be found with a search engine.
>

> Switching from the 'desktop' mode to 'command line' mode with
>
> and Ubuntu live CD is done by using <CTRL><ALT><F1>  and then
>
> <CTRL><ALT><F7> switches back to desktop mode.
>

> A live CD is a useful tool in cases like these.
>

> Good luck!
>

> Pw

> On 13-07-23 02:19 PM,  wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>

> > I recently had some mathematica .nb files deleted from a disk (HDD of a=
 PC). This was done by reformatting the disk. There are many software progr=
ams that can recover files from re-formatted HDDs, but the files they recov=
er are usually common files such as .doc, .xls, .jpeg etc...

> > Does anyone know of a good recovery software that can recover .nb (mathematica) files? Or how else I can go about this? I know the files are still on the harddrive and have not been written over as an initial attempt to recover the files found all the surrounding .doc .xls etc... files and the .  tiff files that I had produced using some of the .nb files.
>

> > thank you,
>

> > Will

Hi Pw,

Just found your post: thanks very much for this suggestion. I'll give it a go!

best wishes,

Will