Legends for Data Plots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129931] Legends for Data Plots
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm at KevinMcCann.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 03:03:37 -0500 (EST)

Here is a routine that I go through a lot. Take some data set, do a fit
or two, then plot the data along with the fit(s). Simple enough to do.
Now, how can I do a Legend that incorporates both the data (usually
points) and the fits (usually lines)? I can use PlotLegends to get the
lines bit, but I usually put the points on the Plot with Epilog.

One thing I thought of was to generate a dense Table of the fitting
function(s) and then use ListLinePlot along with Legends; however, here
all works, except the Legends entry for the data is a line and not a
point even though I used something like Joined->{False,True,True} to put
points down for the data and lines for the fits.

Thanks,

Kevin