Re: Formatting Input Cells within a NotebookWrite[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129952] Re: Formatting Input Cells within a NotebookWrite[]
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:44:14 -0500 (EST)

Craig,

If you wanted to get things exactly as you typed them you might type them,
expose the underlying expression and them copy that box structure into your
NotebookWrite. For example:

NotebookWrite[EvaluationNotebook[],
 RowBox[{"Integrate", "[",
   RowBox[{RowBox[{"x", " ", RowBox[{"y", "^", "2"}]}], ",",
     RowBox[{"{", RowBox[{"y", ",", "1", ",", "2"}], "}"}]}], "]"}]]

This is a bit of work if you want to do much of it.

But how are you using this that it is so important that it be exactly as
typed?

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: W Craig Carter [mailto:ccarter at MIT.EDU]

Hello Mathgroup,

I'd like to have NotebookWrite[] create an input cell *exactly* as I have
typed that input cell.  I'm trying to create set of tutorials with exercises
and worked solutions.

Here are two *almost working* method, however they don't reproduce the code
as it is written---which is what I'm trying to do. I'm stuck.

(*--------------------------Method 1--------------------------------*)
SetAttributes[expressionCell, HoldAll];

expressionCell[expr_] :=
NotebookWrite[EvaluationNotebook[],
 Cell[Block[{BoxForm`$UseTextFormattingWhenEvaluating = True},
   RawBoxes[MakeBoxes[expr]]], "Input",
  LanguageCategory -> "Mathematica"]]

(*examples---these "almost" work, but the FrontEnd converts to StandardForm
2d form and removes indentation. I'm trying to make it look more like
InputForm*)

expressionCell[Integrate[x y^2, {y, 1, 2}]]

expressionCell[
Manipulate[x y^2,
 {y, 1, 2}]
]

expressionCell[
Module[{x, y, z},
 x y z
 ]
]

(*--------------------------Method 2, wrap expr in
InputForm--------------------------------*)

Clear[expressionCell]
SetAttributes[expressionCell, HoldAll];

expressionCell[expr_] :=
NotebookWrite[EvaluationNotebook[],
 Cell[Block[{BoxForm`$UseTextFormattingWhenEvaluating = True},
   RawBoxes[MakeBoxes[InputForm[expr]]]], "Input",
  LanguageCategory -> "Mathematica"]]

(*examples---these work, but I am trying to indicate to students what I am
typing, and so wish to eliminate the explicit *-multiplication, and I'd like
to keep my line returns and indentation on the Module example
*)

expressionCell[Integrate[x y^2, {y, 1, 2}]]

expressionCell[Manipulate[x y^2, {y, 1, 2}]]

expressionCell[
Module[{x, y, z},
 x y z
 ]
]

This is a follow on question to "Re: Using Defer on Dynamic Expressions?"
which was answered by John Fultz and by Mark Maclure on the Wolfram
community site.

W Craig Carter
Professor of Materials Science, MIT