Plot3D labeling question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129315] Plot3D labeling question
  • From: George Kamin <gkamin at roadrunner.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 21:13:47 -0500 (EST)

Hello Users,
I am  a novice user compared to most of you, and have run into a
problem recently trying to label a graphics object produced by
Plot3D[.] or ListPlot3D[.]. The question is simple. Somewhere in the
past ten years, I saw a M object labeled with character strings on
all three axes that were not the three standard horizontal displays
for {xlabel,ylabel,zlabel}. The labels were placed so that the plane
of lettering, xlabel and ylabel, appeared to be IN the plane z = 0
with xlabel lying parallel to the x-axis and the ylabel lying
parallel to y-axis. Similarly the zlabel appeared to lie in the plane
x = 0 and parallel to the z-axis. The important thing to note here is
that the plane of the lettering actually appeared to lie in the
aforementioned planes.

This produces a display that is easier to interpret and simply looks
"nicer", "fancier" than the standard inelegant labels  produced by
PlotLabel or AxesLabel. I would like to use this object for a
publication. Does anyone have a script for producing this type of
label display from inside Plot3D ?? How do I get the "management" of
WR to notice that this would be a nice identifiable standard addition
to the next version of M??

Many Thanks for your assistance in solving this issue, George Kamin
(gkamin at roadrunner.com)