ListLinePlot: Transform labels from numeric to text

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129377] ListLinePlot: Transform labels from numeric to text
  • From: dwilliams at kiesbar.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 23:40:25 -0500 (EST)

Howdy.

I'm using LineListPlot to visualize discrete event occurrences.
Given a dynamic list of absolute times at which approximately 5 million identical events occurred.
I used DateListPlot, but it's simply too slow, taking up to 24 seconds to process 1 million events.
This is due to the inclusion of date material in the data list being processed.

So, used a bin counting method and mapping to create a counts/per unit time.  Very fast- under a second.

The processed data looks like {1,15,8392,31,...,41242} where each item is acount of the times the event occurred in an amount of dynamic time.  By dynamic, I mean that the user has a control of bin length.

I've been using ListLinePlot to plot the data- successfully.  With one exception.  I can't seem to replace the numeric frameticks with textual frameticks.  On the x-axis, I can choose any count integer to display, like 250 or 500.  But I can't replace "0" with the beginning date-time, and replace 360 with the corresponding date-time.

Any ideas how to transform the numeric x-axis labels into textual labels?

Thanks,
David