defining an unknown function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129414] defining an unknown function
  • From: siddys at gmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:25:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,
   I would like to start by defining H = {{\partial_{x,x} L,\partial_{x,y} L},
                                          {\partial_{y,x} L, \partial_{y,y} L}};
where at this stage, the only think i know is that L is of the form L(x,y). This is a Hessian, and I would like to symbolically compute the e-vals and e-vecs. I wanted to know how I should tell mathematica to consider L as L(x,y) ?

Thanks,
Sid.