Re: Export with append??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129450] Re: Export with append??
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:30:25 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

With a command like

Export["myfile.dat", results, "List" ]

is there a way to append the results to an existing myfile.dat, rather
than creating or overwriting an existing file?

thanks for your help,

Maarten

Hi, Maarten,
A simple workaround is to import your file, append a new file to it and then - to export the combined list. Assume that your mathematica notebook entitled "trialImportExport.nb"  is situated in the same folder as the already existing list entitled "myfile.dat".
To be precise I generated the file myfile.dat with the list:
{25, 36, 49}
in it. Assume further that I want to append the list
{a,b,c}
to it. Then the code

lst1=Import[NotebookDirectory[]<>"myfile.dat"]//Flatten;
lst2={a,b,c};
lst3=Append[lst1,lst2]//Flatten;
Export[NotebookDirectory[]<>"myfileNew.dat",lst3]

Does the job. The output cell below:
D:\Documents and Settings\ABo\My Documents\Works\Mathematica_works\Examples\TrialFiles\myfileNew.dat

shows that the file has been successfully exported.
I intentionally gave the resulting file a new name, "myfileNew.dat", to check the result, but the old name can also be given to it.

Have fun, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan,