Re: Question about PlotRange

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129506] Re: Question about PlotRange
  • From: James Stein <mathgroup at stein.org>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 01:13:29 -0500 (EST)

Bob Hanlon: Many thanks for your excellent workarounds.

Bill Rowe: you say the second chart is not what you expected. Not what
I expected either; that was the thrust of my query.
I expected that when a value was beyond the plot range, a portion of
the fill line would nevertheless appear -- exactly that part of the
fill line that IS in the plot range. And this is, in fact, how
Mathematica displayed the (two) extreme values (one positive, one
negative).

If all points out side the range were neither plotted nor filled, I
could understand that (I see what the underlying algorithm might be).
And if all points outside the range were not plotted, but were filled
(as much as could be shown), I could understand that too(and imagine
the underlying algorithm). But I was surprised -- you too, evidently
-- that Mathematica does BOTH, and I can't imagine what algorithm or
interpretation it is implementing. Pending an explanation, I deem it a
bug.

One possible interpretation of PlotRange is this: Imagine the graph
drawn in full; and then imagine the region of the graph what is within
the PlotRange; this second imagined region is what I expected ListPlot
to display.

PS. I see where I misled you.  My original post said "My desire is for
all 27 values to appear on the second chart." What I should have said
was "My desire is to see some visible manifestation of all 27 values"
-- that was, in fact, the purpose of using "Filling->0". Even for
out-of-range points, their filling would not (completely) be out of
range.