MathGroup Archive 2013

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Omega tau podcasts on Wolfram|Alpha and Methematica

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131461] Re: Omega tau podcasts on Wolfram|Alpha and Methematica
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 03:36:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-outx@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsendx@smc.vnet.net
  • References: <krgbfn$nug$1@smc.vnet.net>

Am Dienstag, 9. Juli 2013 08:44:07 UTC+2 schrieb da... at wolfram.com:
> In the most recent podcast of the series, #127, Michael Trott is interviewed about the inner workings of Wolfram|Alpha. He is, suffice it to say, an expert in most of them.
>
>
>
> http://omegataupodcast.net/
>
>
>
> Podcast 126, from a few weeks earlier, has an extended discussion about Mathematica itself, with primary focus on the kernel. The interviewer, Markus Vo"lter, certainly did his homework in advance. I will confess that the guest was perhaps too verbose.
>
>
>
> Daniel Lichtblau
>
> Wolfram Research

Daniel,

thanks for the link and your Podcast with Markus V=F6lker.

To begin with, I object: the "verbosity" of the guest was IMHO excactly apropriate.

It was a very interesting journey through mathematica, and not only your special field, integration, but a wide range of fascinating topics and recent developments. Surely I will come back and listen again to some passages of the Podcast.

As you might remember, recently I found a bug in a special complex path integral (comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica) and, among others, you responded recognizing the bug.

In your podcast you made an important strategic remark: if there is a result given for an integral then it is correct, if Mathematica think the result might be incorrect, then no answer is given. I like this strategy, but, unfortunately, the newsgroup found a counter example. Different good looking results which are wrong.

Finally, may I ask you to give me a hint on some white paper on integration in Mathematica? I'd like to go into some more depth mainly on branch cuts of 2F1 etc.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Wolfgang

• Prev by Date: Re: color surface according to absolut value of the gradient
  • Next by Date: What is the actual simulation time of NDSolve?
  • Previous by thread: Omega tau podcasts on Wolfram|Alpha and Methematica
  • Next by thread: inconsistent refinement behavior