Incorrect (unexpected) output from TransformedField

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131439] Incorrect (unexpected) output from TransformedField
  • From: ZdenÄk HurÃk <hurak at seznam.cz>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 17:19:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I seem to have troubles to understand the correct usage of TransformedField function (in version 9). Or the function contains a bug :-) Here goes a simple code with the source of my confusion

In[22]:= TransformedField[
 "Polar" -> "Cartesian", {r, 0}, {r, \[Theta]} -> {x, y}]

Out[22]= {x, y}

What I would expect as the cartesian description of a vector field originally given in polar coordinates as {r,theta} is {Abs[x],0}. Have I missed anything here? Thanks.