Re: Incorrect (unexpected) output from TransformedField

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131470] Re: Incorrect (unexpected) output from TransformedField
  • From: ZdenÄk HurÃk <hurak at seznam.cz>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 04:52:29 -0400 (EDT)

Itai, thanks for your response. I will go through the Tutorial as you recommend. Of course I read the Help for the TransformedField function before posting here but apparently I did not get it.

Indeed, things are quite confusing to me (as a Mathematica rookie). Of the two calls of TransformedField function

TransformedField["Polar" -> "Cartesian", {r, 0}, {r, \[Theta]} -> {x, y}]

Map[TransformedField["Polar" -> "Cartesian", #, {r, \[Theta]} -> {x, y}] &, {r, 0}]

only the second gives exactly what I had in mind. This is really very confusing to me because the only difference between the two calls is that in the second call, Map is used to apply TransformedField to {r,theta}.

I am afraid that the introduction to Mathematica will take me a while due to all these complexities of the language...