Image processing of Centroid and Radius

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131037] Image processing of Centroid and Radius
  • From: Antonio Alvaro Ranha Neves <aneves at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 03:29:21 -0400 (EDT)

Dear group members,

I've been doodling with Mathematica's image processing, after seeing the example, "Analyze Segmented Cells in an Image" at http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/example/AnalyzeSegmentedCellsInAnImage.html

It seemed beautiful, and I quickly wanted to automated a problem of mine, here is a sample image
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6925/samplerd.png
It is a single unilaminar vesicle (the big low contrast disk), and I basically want to determine its center and radius. The radius should be from the center up to an inflection point of a sigmoid type curve (between the dark and light halo).

I've tried several of Mathematicas built-in filters before trying to binarize, without success. Any hint from those of you who uses image processing?

In the end I know I have to use ComponentMeasurements[SelectComponents["Binarized Image"], "Centroid"] and "SemiAxes", but the difficulty is trying to binarize a low contrast image.

Thanks,
Antonio