Re: Removing list elements in x by list y

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131177] Re: Removing list elements in x by list y
  • From: Dana DeLouis <dana01 at icloud.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 04:25:48 -0400 (EDT)

> I wish to "subtract" y from x, i.e. remove exactly the elements in x

Hello.  I may be wrong, but if you have 10 each of everything, and wanted to subtract 8 of each item, you should be left with 2 items of each.

x=Table[{a,b,c,d},{10}]//Flatten//Sort;
y=Table[{a,b,c,d},{8}]//Flatten//Sort;

Select[x,FreeQ[y,#]&]
{}
Cases[x,_?(FreeQ[y,#]&)]
{}
Pick[x,FreeQ[y,#]&/@x]
{}
Delete[x,Flatten[Map[Position[x,#]&,y],1]]
{}
x/.a_/;MemberQ[y,a]->Sequence[]
{}
Delete[x,Flatten[Position[x,#]&/@y,1]]