Re: What is f[1]? Advanced question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131309] Re: What is f[1]? Advanced question
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 01:04:31 -0400 (EDT)

Do[x[i] = i/10., {i, 1, 3}]

x is a user-defined function whose domain is just the integers 1, 2, and
3.  Like all functions, its Head is Symbol.

Head /@ {x, Exp, Mean}

{Symbol, Symbol, Symbol}

The function definitions are stored in the DownValues of the symbol

DownValues[x]

{HoldPattern[x[1]] :> 0.1, HoldPattern[x[2]] :> 0.2, HoldPattern[x[3]] :>
0.3}

Like any function, when given an argument outside of its defined domain, it
returns unevaluated.

x[4]

x[4]

Bob Hanlon