Re: Greek symbols mangled by InputForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130094] Re: Greek symbols mangled by InputForm
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 16:48:08 -0500 (EST)

That has nothing to do with the notebook being very old.  That's just a
stupid bug in how InputForm communications between kernel and FE happen.
 We already had an open bug report about this, and I just pinged the bug
again with a reference to your post.  Here's a way you could work around
the bug:

Block[{$CharacterEncoding = "Unicode"}, Print[\[Mu]//InputForm]]

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

On Mar 7, 2013, at 9:49 PM, carlos%colorado.edu at gtempaccount.com wrote:

> I opened a very old notebook (done in Mathematica 4 some 10 years ago)
under Mathematica 9.0.1 running under Mac OS X 10.6.9.   The InputForm
output of Greek symbols is mangled. For example

>    Print[\[Mu]//InputForm]
>
> produces a circumflexed I followed by the 1/4 fraction. Cutting and
pasting that output into an Input cell  reproduces that garbage.  The
problem seems to occur only with that filter, which unfortunately I use
a lot for inlining code.