MathGroup Archive 2013

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Smoothhistogram and log-log scaling; Fitting of a power-law

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130184] Smoothhistogram and log-log scaling; Fitting of a power-law
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 05:34:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newout@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsend@smc.vnet.net

Hi all again,

Two questions in one this time, I hope this won't create any confusion: although these questions sound pretty simple I haven't been able to answer them myself!

I am currently working on degree distributions on networks, and

1) I need to produce histograms of these degrees (a list of positive integers) vs their frequency. Their distribution often follows a power law, so that I am required to scale these histograms in a log-log scale.

The problem is: I really love SmoothHistogram for the clarity of its output and for automatically normalising everything, but so far I have not managed to do the log-log scaling in it, which is instead pretty straightforward with a normal Histogram... Is there any solution that joins the two worlds profitably?

2) Finally, it is important to find the "slope" of the (log-scaled) distribution, i.e. the exponent of the distribution itself. I am still not really used to fit non-polynomial functions, and I'm quite confused by the many possible approaches, which is in your opinion the best (=simpler and tidier=) way to proceed?

Thank you all.

• Prev by Date: Re: variables/objects with sequential naming?
  • Next by Date: Re: plot function
  • Previous by thread: Re: plot function
  • Next by thread: Re: Smoothhistogram and log-log scaling; Fitting of a