Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130205] Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 01:51:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:05:01 AM UTC-4, David Bailey wrote:
> On 18/03/2013 09:34, Vince Virgilio wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:48:21 PM UTC-4, David Bailey wrote:

> >> Unfortunately, the documentation at 9.0 deprecates the use of
>

> >> $RandomState - stating that it is superseded by BlockRandom - but
>

> >> clearly $RandomState can solve problems which BlockRandom cannot.
>

> > Agreed. So use Random`GetRandomState[] .
>

> > Vince
>

> I don't understand your point, Random`GetRandomState is not documented
>
> at all, and $RandomState is stated to be superseded by BlockRandom!
>

> My point is that $RandomState should not be superseded by a function
>
> that is less useful!
>

> People like to use functions that are documented and not superseded,
>
> because that gives them confidence that they will continue to exist in
>
> future versions!
>

> David Bailey
>
> http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

OK, not documented. But Random`GetRandomState has worked for years for me (if I recall the duration correctly). I think in versions 6-8. It's in 9 too. I forgot that Random`GetRandomState[] was not documented. And I forgot how I learned about it. Probably from WRI TS, but can't find the email.

Obviously there's a gap in the design of Mathematica's PRNG system, which you indicate. BlockRandom does not completely supersede $RandomState. Pity. I probably stumbled across this long ago, asked TS about it, and got GetRandomState back in a response. I don't think the gap can be otherwise overcome, unless I'm missing something in the documentation (tutorial/RandomNumber Generation, around section "Defining Your Own Generator").

WRI should document and baseline it in the next release (major, minor, or point), hm?

Vince