rookie code issue

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130209] rookie code issue
  • From: robholman at gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 04:22:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi folks:

I'm working on a bit of code in which I want students to choose a trig function from a drop-down menu, and then from there have some choices for viewing the graph. All is working fine except for one thing. There are a couple of constants that depend on the function they choose from the menu, and I'm trying to define the constant based on their choice for f. The basic issue I'm having boils down to the following question:

Why doesn't the following code return a 2?

m = Cos;
Which[m == Sin, 5, m == Cos, 2]

Thanks for the help!

Rob