Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130782] Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 03:16:48 -0400 (EDT)

Re "clean" notebook interface:

An experienced Mathematica user might well prefer a totally clean
notebook as starting point for some work. But a new user, or potential
new customer, might well panic at an essentially blank window. (The
faint horizontal line with it's "+" icon at the top of a new notebook
window is at least a starting point.

Similarly for once the new user has typed and possibly evaluated some
input: what should go there? what's the correct form? what can I do with
it? So WRI has attempted to provide some guidance directly in the
notebook, outside the Documentation Center. (Whether it has the intended
effect is a separate question.)

For example, suppose the new user, or somebody just trying out
Mathematica, successfully types and evaluates:

  Plot[Exp[-x] Cos[x], {x, -Pi/2, Pi/2}]

And possibly (probably?) the user wants to enhance the graph. How do
that? Well, the Next-computation Suggestions Bar provides an immediate
and obvious way to approach it -- without having to look up Plot, wade
through the long list of Options.

I write the above as somebody who has helped hundreds of university
students learn Mathematica and who realizes how much more efficient the
learning would have been over the years had such front end doo-dads been
available. They're like bicycle training wheels: they can help you get
started, but you can get rid of them when they get in the way.

Re specialized applications:

One of the things I hated about another technical computing product
that's very popular, especially in engineering circles, was that to do
so many things -- at least at one point, even to do symbolic
manipulations -- you had to purchase separate add-on products. By
contrast, one of the things I've appreciated about Mathematica from the
start was the inclusion, in fact, integration, of graphics and symbolics
with numerics; and increasingly, the migration of add-on packages into
the kernel. (Surely part of the reason is that software and hardware
advances permit doing so.)

On the other hand, there are areas of applicability where WRI can expect
to target specialized products that are, I presume, more expensive than
plain Mathematica. I see no reason why they should not leverage the
Mathematica platform to produce such products -- especially if the
revenue thereby generated can help support maintenance and further
development of Mathematica itself.

Re maintaining & improving Mathematica:

Nothing I wrote above is meant to minimize the importance of other
things that need to be done, from fixing bugs to maintaining a stable
notebook appearance -- e.g., not willfully changing the default font
family or font color for Section, Text, etc., cells. And by all means,
make it MUCH easier to produce and deploy packages, including their
documentation.

---
Murray Eisenberg                                    murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305