Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130793] Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
  • From: W Craig Carter <ccarter at MIT.EDU>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 02:55:12 -0400 (EDT)

Dear David,

I see your point and am somewhat sympathetic, but I agree with Murray's
training wheels simile and its educational benefits. I also agree with
Murray's final insight on that improvements to Mathematica, its
Front-End, Package development and general innovation are equally
important but need not conflict with the appearance of the "training
wheels".

Students of any age face learning curve hurdles. With hints,
suggestions, and worked examples, the progress is generally faster and
does produce an additional outside the classroom learning opportunity.
If there is a range of sophistication of the hints, students quickly
learn to ignore the ones that become obvious by experience and focus on
those which lead to helpful or novel directions. My recent experience is
that the predictive interface becomes "click-pathway" to the
documentation--which is a good thing.  I typically turn off the
predictive interface when I am doing my own development, but do turn it
on occasionally so that I remind myself of the students' experience.

There is some risk that a student will be lead down a path that isn't
optimal for mastery (here I include the free-form input button).
However, it is interesting to me that in the last year that there has
been a shift in my students: they are already users of Alpha and are
pleasantly surprised that Alpha is incorporated into Mathematica.
Eventually, Mathematica  becomes a tool of choice in their other
physical science classwork--but they continue to incorporate Alpha.

Regarding the analogy to writing, you are correct that students should
develop writing and critical thinking skills by combining practice of
increasing sophistication with other learning paths. Writing quality is
weakly coupled to the word processor by increasing the facility of
editing and the rudimentary grammar checking; these may reduce the
barrier to the mechanics of writing and free up intellectual bandwidth
for content.  Is this very much different to Mathematica's syntax
checking and predictive interface?

I was intrigued by the "Mr. Clippy" suggestion of adding a sentence
about Proust's health.  Proust was an insomniac and was obsessive about
creating insulating sound barriers to drown out the sounds of passing
carriages.  It strikes me that this might have played a role in the
dreamlike quality of his oeuvre.  I recall one passage in the early part
of "Temps Perdu" where the first-person has a reverie of being a young
boy lying awake listening for a locomotive in the distance. Hmmm,
perhaps that might be good fodder for a critical paper?

As always, David, I appreciate your perspective and viewpoint of the
importance of elegant presentation, and your continued advocacy of
including CAS systems as early as practicable in education.

Craig

As a post-script that is back on topic:

I believe the blog was an excellent example of the power of combining
data with graphics.  Regardless of the topic, I can imagine ways I can
borrow some of those techniques for my own work.  I'm not so interested
in the social media topic either and, as SW points out, some of the
results are (satisfyingly) obvious. However, the non-obvious
observations such as "Icelanders have more contacts", "people from
Illinois move to California at a higher rate than do people from Ohio",
"book interest is flat with age group, but music interest declines,
personal philosophy has a local minimum around 30"  do intrigue me.