Re: Map

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130920] Re: Map
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 05:40:39 -0400 (EDT)

hklist = Array[h, {5, 3}];

bragg = {b1, b2, b3};

qbarlist = Map[(# - bragg) &, hklist, {2, 2}];

As stated in the documentation (
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/Map.html ), the third argument
to Map is the level specification and the form {n1, n2} specifies levels n1
through n2. In this case n1 and n2 are equal so it is equivalent to just
{n1}.

qbarlist === Map[(# - bragg) &, hklist, {2}]

True

If you look at your outputs carefully you will see that you do not get the
same result with a third argument of {1}

qbarlist === Map[(# - bragg) &, hklist, {1}]

False

qbarlist // Dimensions

{5, 3, 3}

Map[(# - bragg) &, hklist, {1}] // Dimensions

{5, 3}

Examine the two different arrays above to understand the different behavior.

Bob Hanlon