Re: Unprotect[] Protect[] redefining builtin but keep original available

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131570] Re: Unprotect[] Protect[] redefining builtin but keep original available
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 23:35:13 -0400 (EDT)

On 2013-08-13 07:56:31 +0000, roby said:

> Dear Group
>
> Is it in general possible to redefine mathematica builtins but still
> call the original function from within (but not only from there) the
> redefinition ?
>
> In particular I would like to overload a builtin (distinguished by an
> additional Option additionalopt->o) and keep the possibility to call
> the original (distinguished by omitting the additional Option or
> by setting additionalopt->None)
>
> Regards Robert

Take a look here (practially the same as Chris's answer):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4198961/what-is-in-your-mathematica-tool-bag/5149656#5149656

Many people on Mathematica.SE refer to this technique as the
"Villegas-Gayley trick"

To see many real world uses of the technique, you can look at this search:

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/search?q=villegas+gayley