Extract columns based on their the title in header

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131677] Extract columns based on their the title in header
  • From: Joug Raw <jougraw at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 07:07:17 -0400 (EDT)

I import a CSV file like this:

Name, Sex, Age, ... , ...
Tom,     M,  12, ... ,...
Bob,      M,  13,
Lily,       F,   11,
Jack,      M,  14,
Micheal, M,   10,
..

It become a list and I call it datalist. Then I want only extract the Name
and Age for each child in the list. I did some thing like:

 ColumPos =
  Map[Position[datalist, #] &, {"Name",
Map[Extract[#, ColumPos] &, datalist]

Yes, it works. But the code are bit complicated. Any one has any idea to
get it done in a more efficient way?