Re: Writing numeric data to CSV does not write final EOL

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131679] Re: Writing numeric data to CSV does not write final EOL
  • From: "Dr. Wolfgang Hintze" <weh at snafu.de>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 07:07:57 -0400 (EDT)

Am Sonntag, 21. Juli 2013 10:19:12 UTC+2 schrieb Clark Kogan:
> Hi!
>

> I am using Mathematica 8 to write a numeric matrix to a csv file using the commands:
>

> mytable = {{1, 2}, {3, 4}};
>
> mytable = Export["C:/tmpfile.csv", mytable, "csv"];
>

> This produces a file, but does not put a final line end character after the 4. I am trying to read this file with R, which requires the final line end character. I was wondering if anyone knew the simplest (or a very simple) way to add the additional line end character.
>

> Thanks!
>

> Clark

After correcting the commands for Windows

mytable = {{1, 2}, {3, 4}};
mytable = Export["C:\\temp\\tmpfile.csv", mytable, "csv"];

this works fine.

I can open the csv in Excel, or in Notepad, without problems although, as you said, the Hexdump Shows the Content 312C 320D 0A33 2C34, i.e. without a final 0D0A.

But, if you wish you can easily achieve what you want by appending an empty list, like this

mytableEOF = {{1, 2}, {3, 4},{}};

Best regards,
Wolfgang