Re: list mutability (very basic question)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131710] Re: list mutability (very basic question)
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 02:47:21 -0400 (EDT)

In the statement {0}[[1]]=1 there is no memory location being referenced to
be set. And, if one were created, how would you subsequently reference it?

In Set[Part[x,1],1] I do not know if it is the same memory location but
probably not since the new value may not occupy the same amount of memory
(e.g., you could be changing amongst integers, reals, complexes, strings,
lists, =85). Whether it is the same location or not is immaterial to its
value and the ability to reference its value.

Bob Hanlon