Re: Import CSV can not understand string correctly

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131713] Re: Import CSV can not understand string correctly
  • From: Joug Raw <jougraw at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:57:29 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for your answer. I have just tested it. It works in the sense of
3D22 can be stored in string.

However, there are three main problems:

1- The whole line(recored) in the .csv file is stored in a single string in
Mathematica. All the fields separated by comma in .csv file are merged into one
string in Mathematica.

2- the comma are written together with two double quote sign in the string
in Mathematica, which is "\",\"". So, the double quote is a real string and not
a symbol.

3- numbers in the .csv file are transformed into strings and belong to part
of the line strings in Mathematica.

These together make the data very difficult to process. Then there is no
difference for me to use ReadList rather then Import to read the file and
then add many StringReplace or ReplacePart or ReplaceAll and so on to
do complicated text processing.

Since Import["filename", CSV] works fine for everything except the
misunderstanding of specific string format. Is there any way to still use
it and just disable transform 3D22 like string to number?