Re: a simple question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131729] Re: a simple question
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 04:17:35 -0400 (EDT)

Do you mean you want to solve that equation for h? (That's a different thing than "evaluating it", which would not be possible since the left hand side is not the sort of expression to which you can assign a value -- and what  does is to assign a value. Whereas == denotes an equality.)

Perhaps you mean something like the following:

  Solve[A Log[h]/h - x == 0, h]

The result you'll get gives the solution as:

  h -> -((A*ProductLog[-(x/A)])/x

This may or may not be of use to you, since ProductLog is a not an "elementary" function.

Do A and x have some specific values?

By the way, it's a bad idea to use names in Mathematica that are, or begin with, an upper-case letter -- because that risks confounding them with the names of built-in objects.

On Sep 23, 2013, at 9:59 PM, Dhaneshwar Mishra <dhaneshwarmishra at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to evaluate A*Log[h]/h -x=0 for h, can any body help me doing so?
>
> I am beginner for Mathematica.

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray at math.umass.edu