Re: Learning to Program in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132300] Re: Learning to Program in Mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 03:58:25 -0500 (EST)

What, exactly, do you mean "general" programming with respect to Mathematica?

For example, would you include as part of that:

  - Graphics and the related functions (Plot, etc.) ?

  - importing to and exporting from Mathematica?

  - programming packages?

And for what particular purposes do you want such a book? (Knowing that would help a lot.)

In any case, if I can at all understand your question, my personal top choices are, in order:

  1.  "The Mathematica Book", which you can access within Mathematica by selecting "Virtual Book" from the Help menu.

  2. David Wagner, "Power Programming with Mathematica: The Kernel"

  3. Roman Maeder, "Programming in Mathematica", 3rd ed.

  4. Michael Trott, "The Mathematica Guidebook for Programming" and, depending on your bent, its companion
     volumes on graphics, numerics, and symbolics
     (all together, these could merit a lifetime of study)

  5. Leonid Shifrin, "Mathematica Programming: An Advanced Introduction"
     (excellent for going deeply into the principles of the language with all its subtleties, but most of its
      examples are somewhat artificial 'snippets' suited to the very particular point being made)

For all except #1 and probably #5, beware that they do not cover the current version of Mathematica and so may omit extremely useful "general" functions introduced only in recent versions or other language enhancements or changes.

See also:

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/5059/what-mathematica-book-to-buy

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/18/where-can-i-find-examples-of-good-mathematica-programming-practice

Murray Eisenberg                                murray at math.umass.edu